Developing Skills Needed for Active STEM Learning
Staff Development Guide
Training Situation: Coaching (one-on-one)
Length: 15 minutes
Objectives: Participants will reflect on their facilitation to learn to get youth actively engaged in STEM learning.
- Reflecting on Your Practice – 5 minutes
- Embracing Active STEM Learning Self-Reflection
- See the Skill in Action – 5 minutes
- Designing a Grape Smasher Video-Based Learning Module
- Setting Goals – 5 minutes
Video-Based Learning Modules
As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- What questions did the staff person ask that helped youth think critically in their design?
- How was this activity both hands-on and minds-on?
- If you were leading this activity, what would you do differently? What would you do the same?
Now that you’ve watched the video, reflect on what you saw and post your responses.
- What strategies do you use to give youth time to reflect upon questioning and process their answer?
- How could you tell that youth were engaged in the design challenge?