Staff Development Guide
Training situation: Training (large group)
Length: 60 minutes
Objectives: Participants will compare active and passive learning and convert passive learning activities to more active ones in order to engage youth in active learning.
- Welcome – 5 minutes
- Introduction – 15 minutes
- Active Learning Notetaking Page
- See the Skill in Action – 10 minutes
- Designing a Grape Smasher Video-Based Learning Module
- Hands-on Learning – 20 minutes
- Elephant Toothpaste Activity
- Conclusion – 10 minutes
Video-Based Learning Modules
As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- What questions did the staff person ask that helped youth think critically in their design?
- How was this activity both hands-on and minds-on?
- If you were leading this activity, what would you do differently? What would you do the same?
Now that you’ve watched the video, reflect on what you saw and post your responses.
- What strategies do you use to give youth time to reflect upon questioning and process their answer?
- How could you tell that youth were engaged in the design challenge?