Staff Development Guide
Training Situation: Meeting (small group)
Length: 25 minutes
Objectives: Participants will review strategies to get youth actively doing STEM in order to add more active learning opportunities to their program.
- Active Learning Strategies – 10 minutes
- Active STEM Learning Strategy List
- See the Skill in Action – 10 minutes
- Getting in the Water Video-Based Learning Module
- Conclusion – 5 minutes
Video-Based Learning Modules
As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- How do staff encourage youth to explore the local habitat?
- How do staff keep youth engaged in the exploration?
- What could you do to maximize the learning in an outdoor space?
Now that you’ve watched the video, reflect on what you saw and post your responses.
- In what ways do staff model active STEM learning in this video?
- How does the staff support the natural curiosities of youth in this video?