Staff Development Guide
Training Situation: Meeting (small group)
Length: 35 minutes
Objectives: Participants will reflect on programmatic challenges in order to add more active learning opportunities to their program.
- Introduction – 5 minutes
- See the Skill in Action – 10 minutes
- Active Engagement by Youth Video-Based Learning Module
- Improving Our Program – 20 minutes
- Active STEM Learning: Improving Our Program
Video-Based Learning Modules
As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- How does the facilitator encourage youth to explore the textures and properties of Glurch and Oobleck?
- How does the facilitator help youth describe their observations?
Now that you’ve watched the video, reflect on what you saw and post your responses.
- What did you see Diane do that encouraged curiosity and imagination throughtout the activity?
- How would you facilitate this activity differently?
- Every once and awhile, we may have youth that are not getting involved with the activity. What would you do to encourage engagement?