Staff Development Guide
Training Situation: Training (large group)
Length: 60 minutes
Objectives: Participants will learn how to provide opportunities for youth to direct and manage their own learning and explore strategies to help young people learn to be problem solvers and contributors to computer science. Link to Rubber Duck Idea Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huOPVqztPdc
- Welcome, introduction, and explanation of Zoom – 10 minutes
- Hands-On Learning – 20 minutes
- Rubber Duck Idea – 10 minutes
- See the Skill in Action – 10 minutes
- Conclusion – 10 minutes
Download Staff Development Guide
Video-Based Learning Module
As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- Notice how often Pete asks questions or gives an answer. Which does he do more often?
- How do learners benefit from explaining what they are doing? Is this an effective strategy?
- What other nudges can help learners solve their own problems when they are coding?
Now that you’ve watched the video, reflect on what you saw and post your responses.
- Why does asking questions support learning better than giving answers?
- What is your best strategy for encouraging independent problem solving?