As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- How does Katie, the facilitator, set the stage for the goal of the STEM activity? How does that help them make sense of what is happening?
- “How are we going to make the legs stronger?” (Listen at 0:50) What expectation does this question set for the learner?
- What did the child observe here? (Watch at 1:05)
- What does the facilitator do here that encourages reflection and processing? (Listen at 1:08)
- How does Katie “push” the learners thinking? What does she say/do specifically that encourages youth to develop deeper understanding? (Listen and watch at 1:18, 1:38)
- In what way does this help youth learn about STEM processes? (Watch at 1:54)
- How could you encourage reflecting and processing differently when leading this activity? What could you do the same?