Staff Development Guide
Training situation: Training (large group)
Length: 90 minutes
Objectives: Participants will do the Make Your Own Rules activity to learn how to support giving youth more control over their learning.
- Welcome – 5 minutes
- Introduction – 15 minutes
- Introduction Activity: Giving Youth Control
- See the Skill in Action – 15 minutes
- Hands-on Learning and Practice – 50 minutes
- Conclusion – 15 minutes
Video-Based Learning Modules
As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- How does Aaron use questions to give youth autonomy and support in their learning?
- What choices do youth get to make during this activity?
- What are other ways to incorporate youth voice into this activity?
Now that you’ve watched the video, reflect on what you saw and post your responses.
- How does supporting youth finding the answer themselves give them control over their learning?
- How can you help youth work through frustrations and make choices without telling them the correct answer?