Giving Youth Control with Group Projects
Staff Development Guide
Situation: Meeting (small group)Length: 15 minutes
Objectives: Participants will develop a list of strategies they would like to implement in order to give youth control of their learning.
- See the Skill in Action – 10 minutes
- Try It Out – 5 minutes
Video-Based Module Learning
As you watch the skill video below, think about these questions:
- What strategies do you see staff use that gives youth support while giving them control of the activity? (0:11 – 0:28; 0:59 – 1:19)
- How do the youth respond to being in control of the design process? What do they do and say that shows you they are in charge of what they’re learning? (1:20-1:55; 2:12 – 2:23; 3:05)
- Autonomy means independence or self-determination. Where do you see youth displaying autonomy in this activity? How could staff give youth more autonomy in developing their design?
Now that you’ve watched the video, reflect on what you saw and post your responses.
- What do you see the adult doing that helps empower the groups with their projects?